Tips to keep kids smiling during Halloween
The leaves have definitely started to change colours here in beautiful Calgary and that always signals the start of Halloween season. And with Halloween comes candy and a lot of it for most kids! There are a few key items that will make your kids smile this Halloween and also keep you happy as you tackle the sugar infested evening. Keep reading to see how to make this Halloween an enjoyable experience for you and the kids all the while keeping your kids teeth healthy!
Healthy Halloween Tips
- Make a game plan BEFORE heading out the door. Set expectations for the kids and answer some common questions about how much candy they can eat that night, what will be allowed the next day, etc.
- Use a smaller bag while out Trick O’ Treating to set a standard of “how much candy” your kids receive.
- Set a treat time or distance and set it together as a family.
- Check your treats, this ensures that everything the kids have gotten will be appropriate for your child ie.smaller kids wont’ need to eat a full size chocolate bar!
- Prepare for treats times after Halloween night. Here’s a tip: Allow your child to pack 1-2 smaller sized candies into treat bags they can take to school or have for snack time, this will give them rules about how much they can have.
- Treats should be treats not a substitute for proper meals. Take the time to educate and lead by example and allow treat time to be just that, a treat and not a daily routine!
- Meal time first. Try and eat something before indulging in sugary treats.
- Avoid consuming a sugar drink while having a treat. Instead, choose to have a glass of water.
- Brush, floss and rinse! Don’t let the kids go to bed without brushing their teeth! And don’t forget to floss and rinse, again, lead by example!
- HAVE FUN! Enjoy your evening with your kids and make the most of your time together.
We hope everyone stays safe and enjoys their Halloween! Our dental staff here at Dental at the Met are always here to assist and keep your families teeth healthy. We look forward to seeing you at your next dental checkup!